Northern Illinois @ Ball State
Current records: Northern Illinois 1-3; Ball state 1-3
What there is to know
The Ball State Cardinals and Northern Illinois Huskies will face off in a Mid-American matchup at 2 p.m. ET on Oct. 1 at Scheumann Stadium. Both teams suffered a loss in their last game, so they will have plenty of motivation to get the “W”.
Ball State was hampered by 85 penalty yards against the Georgia Southern Eagles last week. The Cardinals came up short against Georgia Southern, losing 34-23. A silver lining for Ball State was the play of WR Jayshon Jackson, who caught ten passes for a TD and 122 yards. This receiving effort made it the first game that Jackson posted over 100 receiving yards.
Special teams had 11 points for Ball State. K Ben VonGunten delivered a perfect 3-on-3 match.
Meanwhile, it was all tied 14-14 at halftime, but NIU weren’t quite the match of the Kentucky Wildcats in the second half when they met last week. The Huskies took a hit 31-23 in the loss column. TE Tristen Tewes put up a good effort for the losing team as he snatched two receiving touchdowns.
NIU’s defense was also present, as they ran past the Wildcats offensive line to sack QB Will Levis five times for a total loss of 21 yards. It was a group effort with seven guys contributing.
The Cardinals are expected to lose this next by 3.5. Those betting on them ATS shouldn’t have high expectations of them as the team is 0-2 ATS when they are expected to lose.
The losses dropped the two teams to an identical score of 1-3. A few offensive numbers to keep in mind heading into kickoff: Ball State enters the game with the 31st most yards per game in the nation at 283.8. NIU showed off their own offensive firepower by ranking 38th in the nation in touchdown passes, with nine on the season.
How to watch
- When: Saturday at 2 p.m. ET
- Where: Scheumann Stadium – Muncie, Indiana
- TV: ESPN More
- Online broadcast: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
The Huskies are a 3.5-point favorite against the Cardinals, according to the latest college football odds.
See college football picks for every game, including this one, from SportsLine’s advanced computer model. Get choices now.
Northern Illinois has won five of its last seven games against Ball State.
- November 10, 2021 – Northern Illinois 30 vs. Ball State 29
- November 18, 2020 – Ball State 31 vs. Northern Illinois 25
- October 05, 2019 – Ball State 27 vs. Northern Illinois 20
- October 06, 2018 – Northern Illinois 24 vs. Ball State 16
- November 9, 2017 – Northern Illinois 63 vs. Ball State 17
- October 01, 2016 – Northern Illinois 31 vs. Ball State 24
- October 10, 2015 – Northern Illinois 59 vs. Ball State 41